Foodies on Maui
We admit it: Maui diners are spoiled. Food lovers here can bite into fresh, island-grown produce (and locally caught fish) prepared by world-class chefs. We even pair it with a thriving cocktail and craft brewery scene. Lucky you — we share. Here’s news you can sink your teeth into.
1. If you crave indulgence, Montage Kapalua Bay has just the thing: lunch or dinner served by a private chef at the exclusive Cliff House overlooking Namalu Bay. Arrive up to an hour early and enjoy the ocean below, complete with snorkel gear and water toys. Private showers make freshening up before dining a breeze. MontageHotels.com/KapaluaBay
2. No need to request a table with a view at the new Burger Shack at DT Fleming Beach fronting The Ritz-Carlton, Kapalua. The casual hideaway sits beneath a canopy of coconut palms, and serves burgers, shakes, craft beers and tropical cocktails in a luxuriously laid-back island setting. Like to dine on the beach? Ask about a to-go kit. BurgerShackKapalua.com
3. Speaking of libations, the Sheraton Maui Resort & Spa’s “Maui Made” vacation package will introduce you to the island’s distillers and vineyard with discounted tours of Maui Brewing Company, MauiWine, and OCEAN Organic Vodka. The package includes deluxe accommodations and beverage-inspired welcome amenities. It starts at $314 per night and runs through December 21, 2016. (Rate code LOPKG1.) Sheraton-Maui.com.
4. Not a master chef? Not to worry. Every month, Chef Ben Marquez of Andaz Maui’s Ka‘ana Kitchen conducts Ka‘ana Kupboard, a cooking class that invites up to twelve students into the kitchen for hands-on instruction with themes like Backyard Barbecue, Rock and Roll Sushi, and Modern Lū‘au. Prefer a spot on the other side of the counter? Check out Ka‘ana Kitchen’s Chef Bloc series with Chef de Cuisine Ritchard Cariaga. Chef Bloc offers a six-course pairing dinner highlighting grown-on-Maui ingredients, and diners can watch the process up close, ask questions and even help plate the dishes. See what’s cooking this month at Maui.Andaz.Hyatt.com.
5. That treehouse you dreamed of as a child? It’s here at Hotel Wailea: a grand treehouse suspended in a mango and avocado orchard. Reserve this whimsical setting for a private-chef dinner by emailing email@example.com.