- 1 pound pizza dough OR 4 naan or pita breads
- 2 large Kula onions, thinly sliced
- 4 ounces Surfing Goat Dairy feta cheese, chopped or crumbled
- 8 large basil leaves, sliced thin or cut chiffonade
- 1 + 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 teaspoon sea salt or Hawaiian salt
- 1⁄2 teaspoon freshly ground pepper
Directions: Divide the pizza dough into 4 even portions; pat and stretch each ball of dough into a circle. Put the 4 circles of dough on a lightly greased baking sheet and set aside.
Cut up the onions; chop or crumble the cheese; slice the basil leaves into thin slivers. If you want to practice your knife skills, try stacking the basil leaves and then rolling them into a cylinder. Cut thin slices across the cylinder. This chiffonade cut quickly turns the basil into elegant, even strips. Heat 1 tablespoon of the olive oil in a skillet over medium heat. Add the sliced onions and cook, stirring frequently, until caramelized. This may take 30 minutes or more. Watch the onions carefully; they must not burn. If they are starting to get too brown on the edges, lower the heat.
Preheat the oven to 425 degrees. Brush the pizza dough with the rest of the olive oil and sprinkle with the sea salt. Spread an even layer of caramelized onions over each circle of dough, then another even layer of goat cheese. Bake at 425 degrees for about 8 minutes, or until the dough is crisp. Sprinkle each round with the sliced basil and serve immediately.