with Citronette Dressing
Author: courtesy of Lynn Stettler of Café Carmen in Kihei
Chef’s Note: Make sure quinoa absorbed all the water when removed from the oven, loosen up with a fork and cool down in refrigerator, quinoa should be nice and dry, al dente when cold. Black or kalamata olives are fine. Make sure they are pitted.
Quinoa Salad Ingredients:
- 1 cup Quinoa
- 1.5 oz. Citronette Dressing (see below for recipe)
- 1 oz. Tomato
- 1/2 oz. Green Onion
- 1 1/2 oz. Avocado
- 1 oz. Olives
- 1/4 oz. Mint
- 4 oz. Chicken Breast
Citronette Dressing Ingredients:
- 3 quarts extra virgin olive oil
- 1 quart Fresh Lemon Juice
- Salt and Pepper to taste
Directions for Quinoa Salad
- Pour quinoa into hotel pan, cover with water, place into oven at 350˚F. Occasionally check water and add more if needed. Cook quinoa until done to taste.
- Season chicken breast with salt and pepper. Place saute pan on high heat. Add one tablespoon
olive oil, pan sear chicken breast skin side down first. Pan sear both sides for about 2 minutes and place pan into oven at 350˚F until chicken breast is done. Remove from oven and pan and let rest.
- Cut tomato into quarters, remove seeds, cut into julienne slices.
- Wash green onion thoroughly, pat dry on kitchen towel, cut into quarter inch pieces in a bias.
- Cut olives into halves.
- Wash mint, pat dry, cut into julienne slices.
- Cut avocado into finger-thick cubes and keep in lemon water to avoid oxidation.
- Place all ingredients into a stainless steel bowl, except chicken breast. Season with salt and pepper, mix gently and dress onto plate. Slice warm chicken breast into quarter inch slices in a bias and put on top of salad.
Directions for the Citronette Dressing:
- Place all ingredients into blender, cover and blend until emulsified.
- Salt and pepper to taste.