Simeon-family Smoked Meat
“Growing up on the Big Island of Hawai‘i, this family recipe has always been a very traditional part of our Hawai‘i food culture. Enjoy!”
—Sheldon Simeon, chef/owner of Lineage Restaurant in Wailea, and Tin Roof Maui in Kahului
Prep Time: 15 minutes to prepare the marinade, 3–5 days to marinate, then 2–3 hours to smoke the meat.
- 10 lb. pork butt or wild boar meat, cut into 2x2x12-inch strips
- 1 qt. Aloha Brand Shoyu
- 4 c. white sugar
- ½ c. sesame oil
- 3 pc. Hawaiian chili pepper
- 10 garlic cloves, smashed
- Fist-sized piece of ginger, smashed
- 3 stalks of green onion with bottoms, smashed
DIRECTIONS Marinate 3–5 days. Smoke with kiawe (mesquite) and guava branches (if available) on low heat (150–200°) 2–3 hours. Slice and fry in a little oil.
Mahalo to Chef Sheldon Simeon for sharing his recipe for marinated smoked meat.