Yield: 8 servings
Prep Time: 45 minutes
- 3 c. dashi (Japanese soup stock)
- 1/2 c. daikon radish, thinly sliced
- 1/2 c. carrot, thinly sliced
- 8 slices kamaboko (cured surimi, a seafood product)
- 1 Tbsp. soy sauce
- 1 Tbsp. saké
- 1/4–1/2 tsp. salt
- 8 mochi (rice cakes)
- 4 leaves of mitsuba (Cryptotaenia japonica, or Japanese parsley), coarsely chopped
Optional: 1 small chicken breast, sliced into eight crosswise strips, and 8 small shiitake mushroom caps, soaked 30 minutes in warm water and drained.*
Procedure: Bring dashi slowly to a simmer in a pot at medium temperature and add daikon radish, carrot and kamaboko. Cook until vegetables become tender, about 20 minutes. Meanwhile, bake mochi in a toaster oven about 5 minutes, until the mochi has expanded and browned. Season soup with soy sauce, sake, and salt.
Plating: Distribute baked mochi among 8 soup bowls, ladle soup and vegetables, sprinkle with mitsuba and serve.