Yield: 2 cups | Prep time: 45 minutes
- 4 anchovies, packed in oil, mashed to a rough paste
- 2 tsp. preserved lemon, diced
- 1 Tbsp. capers, drained
- 1 small garlic clove, finely grated
- 2 Tbsp. organic extra virgin olive oil
- 1 large bunch of cilantro (approximately 2 c.), tops and 2/3 of stems included
- 1 c. parsley, tops and 2/3 of stems included
- 1/4 c. mint leaves, loosely packed
- 1 1/4 c. extra virgin olive oil
- lemon juice & salt, optional
Dry spice MIX
- 1 tsp. whole coriander seeds
- 1/2 tsp. each whole black peppercorns, cumin seed, & fennel seed
- 1/2 tsp. each ground cinnamon & allspice
- 1/8 tsp. each ground chile de arbol (or cayenne) & ground turmeric
Lightly toast whole spices over medium heat till aromatic, about 4 minutes. Cool. Grind to a powder in spice grinder.* Mix with remaining spices. Store in a jar in refrigerator.
*Available at Maureen’s kitchen department in Marmac Ace Hardware, Kahului.
In a medium bowl, make a paste by combining anchovies, preserved lemon, capers, garlic, and 2 Tbsp. olive oil. Add a generous pinch of spice mix and stir with a fork until well blended. Chop herbs together to a fine consistency. Stir into anchovy paste, adding enough olive oil for a spoonable consistency. Adjust seasoning, adding lemon juice and salt, if desired. For best results, macerate for a few hours at room temperature, if using immediately, or store in refrigerator.
Chermoula will keep for up to a week if refrigerated, and may be used in soups, stews, as a marinade base, and in vegetable dishes as a flavor enhancer.
Note: If you want your chermoula to keep its green color, hand chopping the herbs with a sharp knife is a must. If you are in a rush, and not planning on leftovers, you can process the herbs in the food processor with the paste and olive oil. — Chef Hiram
Macadamia Nut Caper Sauce
Yield: 3 cups | Prep Time: 15 minutes, plus 4 hours or more to soak the mac nuts
- 1 c. raw macadamia nuts
- filtered water for soaking
- 4 c. filtered water for blending
Place raw nuts in a glass or ceramic bowl and cover with cool filtered water. Seal with plastic wrap and place in refrigerator 4 hours or overnight. Rinse well and drain. Place nuts in blender with 4 c. filtered water and blend till smooth, 1–2 minutes. Strain through a fine mesh nut bag.* Lasts up to 5 days, refrigerated.
*Available at Down to Earth Natural Foods, Whole Foods Market, and Mana Foods.
- 1 c. macadamia-nut milk
- 1 c. oven-roasted, unsalted mac nuts
- 1–2 Tbsp. capers in brine
- sea salt, to taste
- black pepper, to taste
Method: Place all ingredients in blender and process till smooth. Keep refrigerated. Warm on low heat before serving. Use within 1 week.
Plating: Place seared fish on macadamia sauce and drizzle chermoula on fish. Serve with extra sauce on the side.