Author: Chef Mark Ellman of Mala Ocean Tavern
- 1 raw sashimi-grade ahi block, approximately 4 ounces
- 1/2 cup edamame puree
- 1 yellow and 1 red ripe tomato, each sliced 1/4″ thick
- 8 1/4″ slices very dense flaxseed or whole-grain bread*
- 1/4 cup clarified butter
- 2 tablespoons fresh basil leaves, julienned
- 1 tablespoon microgreens
- 1 tablespoon extra virgin olive oil
- 1 tablespoon Villa Mondori balsamic vinegar
- salt and freshly ground pepper
Method: Coat the ahi block with freshly ground pepper, then sear on all sides over high heat. Let cool, then cut into the 1/4″ slices. Brush two slices of bread with clarified butter and grill on both sides.
Spread edamame puree on the grilled bread. Top with a slice each of yellow and red tomato. Sprinkle with salt and pepper. Top with two slices of seared ahi, then basil.
Drizzle with olive oil and balsamic. Plate, then sprinkle with microgreens and a bit more basil. repeat with remaining ingredients.
*Mala uses flaxseed bread that Lahaina Bakeries bakes especially for the restaurant. You can also use a very dense volkornbrot (whole rye bread) such as Mestermacher’s, available at Lahaina Farms and Whole Foods.