Chicken & White-Bean Chili Recipe
When the waves are up and the temperatures down, we make nourishing stews to warm our members after surfing. The recipe for this chili features healthy proteins, a nourishing bone broth and complex carbohydrates via the kabocha pumpkin to give [the kids] sustained energy. And the various cutting and cooking techniques help our budding chefs learn the tricks of the trade. —Chef Benjamin Rachunas
Prep Time: 90 minutes
Servings: 15–20 kids (Perfect for parties, or freeze the leftovers for up to 3 months.)
- ¼ c. extra virgin olive oil
- 1½ c. medium Maui onion, finely diced
- 1 tsp. salt
- 4 cloves garlic (2 Tbsp.), minced
- 6 boneless, skinless chicken thighs (4 c.), sliced thin
- 1 tsp. cumin powder
- 1 tsp. dried oregano
- 1 Tbsp. chili powder
- 1 small kabocha pumpkin (4 c.), medium dice*
- 1 bunch rainbow carrots (3 c.), cut into rounds**
- 1 medium zucchini (2 c.), cut into rounds ¼ inch thick
- 2 medium red bell peppers (2 c.), large dice
- 2 c. sweet corn kernels (about 2 ears)
- 1 24-oz. can (3 c.) fire-roasted crushed tomatoes
- 2 c. chicken-bone broth
- 1 bunch rainbow chard (4 c.), sliced thin
- 2 12-oz. cans (3 c.) white beans, drained and rinsed
* Or substitute butternut squash, yams or white sweet potatoes.
** Orange carrots work, but rainbow carrots add color to the dish.
PROCEDURE: Pour olive oil into a heavy-bottomed, 5-quart stockpot. Add onions and salt and sauté over medium heat 5–7 minutes, until translucent. Add garlic and sauté 1–2 minutes, until fragrant.
Add chicken, cumin, oregano, and chili powder. Stir, then cover with a lid. Continue stirring every 2 minutes for 6–8 minutes, until chicken is browned. Reduce heat to low-medium.
Stir in kabocha pumpkin, cover with lid and cook 2 minutes. Stir in carrots, cover and cook 2 minutes. Stir in zucchini, bell peppers, and corn, cover and cook 2 minutes. Add tomatoes and bone broth and simmer on low for 30–40 minutes, stirring every 5 minutes, until pumpkin is soft.
Stir in chopped Swiss chard and white beans, cover and heat for 5 minutes. Serve over brown rice.